Saturday 22 December 2012

Christmas food aplenty

Its that time of year again...when I anticipate and onslaught of various pressures upon my senses. They've already started but I know I'm not in the thick of it yet.

Throngs of people muddling through the isles at Sainsbury's, screeching children in tow...the warming scents of mulled wine spices...the soft crumble of sugary mince pie pastry melting in my mouth...millions of multicoloured fairy lights twinkling in the city's front room windows...the smooth, waxy feel of a holly leaf in the festive centrepiece arrangement on the kitchen table.

So many intense things around to let me know that the biggest date in the calendar is arriving soon whether I like it or not. In my case, I like it. Mainly because of the chance to enjoy some time with my lovely friends and family. But second to that, because of the bountiful array of amazing food on offer.

Why oh why does so much of it have to be unhealthy?! I'm having a near-constant argument in my head of "but Christmas is the only time to enjoy a mince pie with clotted cream"..."but all that sugar and bad fat...your thighs won't thank you for it!"

So I've decided to give myself little treats here and there, to satisfy the recovery sugar addict in me's little voice, but not have a horrible sinking feeling when I can't fit into my favourite jeans come January.

I will have a little bit of what I fancy, every now an then. I'll keep the portions slight, interwoven with a superfood here and there (nuts are in their element this time of year, in their pre-cracked natural jackets) and washed down with plenty of...water! That way I'll avoid the acid reflux and painfully bloated tummy I always regret to have induced, while still enjoying little pockets of culinary delights that only Christmas brings. 

Wishing all my friends and loved ones a Merry and peaceful Christmas xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment